Monday 27 July 2009

Story vs. Game

A while ago I was interested in an unheld workshop on Simulation vs. Stories. Today I stumbled upon this article by Greg Costikyan: Story vs. Game. I was surprised to notice the extent to which I disagree with almost any single paragraph in the text.

I do agree that there is a continuum between stories and games (actually I am not sure he uses the word "game" as I would). Because to me this continuum is exactly as in the mentioned workshop. The thing Greg talks about is simulations. And to me games are much more what Raph Koster would say: just "fun".

To me storytelling is part of games. The best way to convey this idea is to think of the story post-factum, after the play. If you retell it, it is a story. The difference is that in this case you deal with what they call "emergent narrative".

No comments:

Post a Comment